Social Security defines disability as the inability to do a substantial amount of work. If someone cannot work or is expected to be unable to work due to physical or mental impairment for longer than 12 months, Social Security will find this person disabled. The law refers to work as any “substantial gainful activity” in which you earn at least $1,170 per month before taxes. If you believe yourself disabled, you can file your case with Social Security. They will look over your situation to verify that you meet the criteria for disability under Social Security law. Some people forego the legal help of a disability attorney. Others choose a disability attorney either to help them fill out their application or represent them in a later Social Security disability appeal. A disability attorney can help you get approved for disability, but you should carefully choose a Social Security disability lawyer to ensure that you have the best chance to win your claim.
At Parmele Law Firm, we are experts in social security disability law. With our experience, knowledge, and dedication, we have helped thousands of people like you win their social security disability claim. Contact us today for a free consultation!
Filing for Disability Is Confusing
It is not legally necessary to have a disability attorney in order to file for disability with Social Security. A small percentage of people each year get approved for SSI or SSDI benefits without contacting any disability lawyers. However, the odds of approval increase when you employ a lawyer to help present your case. Most people find filing for disability a very difficult and confusing process. If you contact an experienced and knowledgeable lawyer, he or she can help you navigate this difficult process. Your legal counsel will help you understand the application process and help you convey the full extent of the difficulties you face. Most people are not in the best position to clearly and coherently express the disabilities they face in a way that will help convince a judge. By hiring a disability attorney, you have a skilled advocate for your particular situation.
Choosing the Right Disability Attorney
Not all disability lawyers have all the necessary skills you need to fight and win Social Security disability benefits. There are a few different aspects you should look for when choosing the best disability lawyer for you and your case.
Find a lawyer who treats you with the respect you deserve.
- If an attorney doesn’t respect you and doesn’t give you the time you need to explain your disability, they will not be able to help you to the fullest extent of their abilities.
- An attorney needs to listen to the details and nuances of your case in order to help you win.
- If your legal counsel doesn’t listen with sensitivity and ask the right questions, they will not be able to accurately understand and portray your struggle.
A good lawyer will not guarantee your approval.
- The right lawyer will honestly assess your situation and give you a straight answer.
- They will highlight the strengths and weaknesses of your case and give you an idea of how to make your case stronger.
Choose an experienced lawyer.
- Disability law is a specialized area with an exceptional amount of nuance. Your attorney must have the wherewithal to navigate tricky processes, rules, and requirements.
- An experienced attorney will bring an understanding of the complex procedures and regulations surrounding Social Security.
- This experience should instill confidence, help you relax (which is important during any appeals hearings), and provide you with expert advice.
Choosing Parmele Law Firm
A good disability attorney will help you understand the ins and outs of Social Security, and a great disability attorney from Parmele Law Firm will improve your chances of winning at a hearing. Our attorneys have the experience you need, and they know the tendencies of the Administrative Law Judges who hear your case. This helps them prepare you for your hearing, analyze your case, and ultimately put your best foot forward. Contact the Parmele Law Firm today to get the experienced assistance you need.