The disability benefits available through the Social Security Administration provide a steady stream of income for workers who are unable to stay gainfully employed due to a disability. But getting approved for disability is not an easy task and the majority of requests are denied, at least initially. A denial can be for a number of reasons and when benefits are not approved the process to appeal and have your application reconsidered can be frustrating. The best approach to making sure you get the benefits you have earned is to let a qualified attorney handle your case from the outset. This will ensure your application is in order and that the evidence needed to establish a disability is clearly presented. Taking the time to sit down with an attorney helps you understand what is needed for a successful application, and why benefits sometimes get denied.
Some of the most common reasons given for denying disability benefits are:
- You are able to perform a job, even if it is not the same job you had to leave.
- Your condition has improved or does not meet the criteria for being considered a disability.
- The medical evidence does not support a finding of being disabled.
- You have previously been denied benefits.
- Your income level is too high, if you are applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- You failed to follow up with a physician.
- You refused to cooperate with the Social Security office handling your claim.
Keeping these things in mind will give you an advantage when applying for disability benefits. When you know some of the reasons for denials, you can avoid making a misstep and jeopardizing your chances at being awarded valuable benefits. We work with you so you are prepared and present the best case possible. And, if your claim is denied we take the steps necessary to have it reconsidered or appealed. It can be difficult to get benefits approved, but that does not mean it is impossible. Our practice is focused on helping people get the benefits they have earned because we know how important it is for you to get the payments you deserve.
For detailed answers to your questions about social security benefits, call an experienced attorney for help. Contact us online today for more information. We can also be reached at 855-727-6353.