Leaving the Country? Will Your Disability Benefits Go With You?

Parmele Law FirmSocial Security, Uncategorized

Have you ever wondered what happens to your Social Security Disability Insurance benefits (“SSDI” or “disability benefits”) if you move out of the country?

It’s not a situation that comes up often, but if a move out of the United States is in your future, there are a few things you should know.

The Benefits You Are Receiving.  

To start with, whether you will continue to receive benefits depends in part on the type of disability benefits you are getting.

The Social Security Administration (“SSA”) runs 2 disability programs: Supplemental Security Income (“SSI”) and Social Security Disability Insurance (“SSDI”).

SSI provides financial support for people —including those who are disabled—who have little to no income and very few resources. It provides supplemental income for people who have worked very little or never during their lifetime.

SSDI, on the other hand, is for people who have worked up to 15 years and who have paid into the federal social security tax system (the Federal Insurance Contributions Act or “FICA”).

Moving Out of the Country and Receiving Supplemental Security Income.

If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income your payments will stop if you remain outside of the United States for 30 days. With very few exceptions, if you remain outside of the United States for 30 days and your payments are stopped, you cannot reinstate them until you have been back in the United States for 30 days.

 Moving Out of the Country and Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance.

On the other hand, if you are receiving SSDI and you move out of the country, it is more likely that your payments will continue.

The United States maintains a Social Security agreement with over 50 countries. This means that U.S. Citizens who remain eligible for SSDI benefits can continue receiving those benefits even if they become a citizen (dual or otherwise) of any one of the 50 countries with which the U.S. has a Social Security Agreement.

You must remain eligible for SSDI benefits to continue receiving payments overseas. This means that you will need to be available for Continuing Disability Reviews conducted by the SSA.

To learn more, please contact your local Social Security office or a social security disability attorney.

Experienced Disability Counsel Providing Compassionate Care and Zealous Advocacy.

 If you have questions about your disability benefits or have been denied benefits, call us. We handle only social security disability cases. We have offices in Springfield, Cape Girardeau, Columbia, Jefferson and other cities in Missouri, and we have offices in Kansas, Illinois and even in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. We offer free consultations and we do not get paid unless you win your case. Connect with us on Facebook or LinkedIn, or  contact us today to set up your free appointment.